Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Immigration



The powers that be at immigration routinely decide whether or not one qualifies to be south Sudanese, based on whether or not they think you ‘look south sudanese’.

It is extremely frustrating.

I spent about an hour at the airport yesterday (travelling back from Zanzibar) detained at immigration for having a Kenyan passport, South Sudanese travel document and not paying for a visa either in Kenya or in South Sudan.

i.e I have to have had to pay for a visa. Somewhere.

The immigration fellow kept saying things like, “No you are not south Sudanese. You are Kenyan, and just pretending”

Or

‘I will send you back to where you came from so that if you are using the south sudan travel document they have to stamp this document, and you buy a visa for Kenya. Or you buy a visa for south sudan and use Kenyan passport. Or you go to immigration hq and explain yourself there. You cannot do both.. you are behaving like a criminal.

This coupled with the fact that I constantly have to prove that I actually am from this bloody country wherever I am? 

I’m about to give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment